'Sambar', is a balanced dish with lentils and vegetablesblended along with Indian Spices. Thisis the best accompaniment to any South Indian Meal. In Tamil Nadu where sambharusually has one or two vegetables and the flavors are adjusted a bit accordingto the vegetable added. Beetroot Sambar is healthy sambhar recipe where beetrootis used as main vegetable. Make delicious Beetroot Sambar using this simplerecipe from Madappalli. This sambhar can be served with rice, idli, and dosa andthe amount of tamarind is adjusted to accordingly. Beetroot 1 cup (Chopped like cubes) Tamarind 1gooseberry sized Green chilies, halved vertically- 2 no. Red Chili powder- 1/2tsp or adjust according to your taste Coriander leaves (chopped) 1 Tbsp. Tovar Dhal/Sambhar Lentil ½ cup Black mustard seeds ½ Tsp.
- Pressure cooks the dal with water till it sinks, turmericpowder, 1 tsp of oil and tomatoes for 3 whistles. Let the pressure releases,mash well and keep aside.
- Soak a small ball of tamarind in warm water and squeezeto extract the juice. Discard pulp and seeds.
- Mix sambar powder, chili powder and asafetida powder(Hing) in it and set aside.
- In a kadai, add cooked dal , chopped Beetroots, and greenchilies. Cook in low flame till theveggies get cooked fully.
- Now add the tamarind and sambhar powder mixture and allowto boil for 5 minutes in a medium flame.
- If the sambar is too thick, add more water and bring toboil and if it's too watery, boil until the right consistency is reached.
- Heat the oil for tempering in a small pan. Add themustard and when they pop, add the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the seasoning to sambar and add chopped corianderleaves and close with lid.
- Serve piping hot with rice and ghee and vegetables.
- This recipe serves 6.